Our History

When Matthew Brettenham Kingsbury established the firm back in 1790, he could not have envisaged that the partnership would become the modern, sophisticated and successful one that it is today.

In 1908 Percy Jeans Sprake, grandfather of today’s senior partner, David Sprake, joined the practice, taking it over in 1912. Percy’s brother, Geoffrey Guy Sprake, joined him in 1920 and later their sons, John Humphrey Sprake and Austin Sprake, entered the firm.

More recently in 1974, Richard Hughes became a partner with John Sprake and the firm became known as Sprake & Hughes. David Sprake started working in the firm in 1981.

Following the retirement of Richard Hughes, Nicolas Kingsley joined the business in 1992 and soon after the firm became known as Sprake & Kingsley. We now operate from contemporary, expanded headquarters in Broad Street, Bungay.